« Home | Sarah Palin Humor Break » | Financial Crisis Update » | Guilt by Association » | Square Deal » | Cry Havoc! » | Presidential Character » | The Lesions of History » | Contestant #8 » | Palindrome » | Special Palin Debate Resource »

Friday, October 10, 2008

Warmed Debate Leftovers

Warmed Debate Leftovers

MSNBC catches up with the guy at the debate who was at the receiving end of McCain's condescending "You probably never heard of Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac before this..." remark.Michael Levine says: "Well Senator, I actually did. I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent person. I have a bachelor degree in Political Science from Tennessee State, so I try to keep myself up to date with current affairs. I have a Master degree in Legal Studies from Southern Illinois University, a few years in law school, and I am currently pursuing a Master in Public Administration from the University of Memphis. In defense of the Senator from Arizona I would say he is an older guy, and may have made an underestimation of my age. Honest mistake. However, it could be because I am a young African-American male. Whatever the case maybe it was somewhat condescending regardless of my age to make an assumption regarding whether I was knowledgeable about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac."

The Planetarium: McCain accused Obama of backing what sounded like a crazy "$3 million [earmark] for an overhead projector at a planetarium in Chicago, Ill." According to the AP, it wasn't just and "overhead projector" for any old planetarium, it was a complete overhaul of the 40-year-old projection system used at Chicago's Adler Planetarium, the first planetarium theater in the Western Hemisphere. Adler issued a statement in defense of its request for federal funding, noting: "The Adler's Zeiss Mark VI projector - not an overhead projector - is the instrument that re-creates the night sky in a dome theater, the quintessential planetarium experience. The Adler's projector is nearly 40 years old and is no longer supported with parts or service by the manufacturer. It is only the second planetarium projector in the Adler's 78 years of operation. Science literacy is an urgent issue in the United States. To remain competitive and ensure national security, it is vital that we educate and inspire the next generation of explorers to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home